Whole Wheat Banana Muffins
We shared a little bit about our end-of-year workout program with you last week, and the fact that we’ve already started to see results. One way our bodies have responded to the workouts is in revving up our metabolism, and as a result, we’ve needed to eat a little more to stay nourished during the day. I whipped up these whole wheat banana muffins so we’d have healthy snacks available when we need a little extra energy.
These muffins are not particularly sweet, but they are moist and very flavorful. We also like that they transport well so make a great on-the-go snack.
2 cups whole wheat flour
1 large piece of fruit (apple, pear) or 2 small (plums), cored and diced
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1 cup ripe bananas, mashed (about 2 medium bananas)
1 egg white
1/4 cup apple cider or milk
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
1/2 cup plain yogurt
1/4 cup unsweetened, shredded coconut
- Preheat your oven to 375° and place liners in a 12-cup muffin pan.
- Combine the dry ingredients in a large bowl. In a separate bowl, mix the bananas, egg, egg white, apple cider, vanilla and yogurt.
- Stir together wet and dry ingredients until just combined, then spoon the batter into the muffin cups.
- Bake the muffins until their tops are golden brown (about 20 minutes), then transfer them to a wire rack and cool completely.
What’s your favorite on-the-go snack? If you’re looking for fresh ideas in the recipe department or want to jump-start your metabolism with a fun and challenging workout routine, check out our Express plan. At under $20 it’s the perfect holiday treat.
- Posted on December 10th, 2012